Thursday, September 23, 2010

A process in multimedia.

I finally finished this tonight, a small townscape painting that will be the backdrop of the menu screen for "Fables of the Penitent Thief", a quirky old school-ish rpg adventure created by Marcus Zuppinger and my bro, Dan Todd. Check it out here, Dan's portfolio. I wish I would have taken a picture or scan of the initial drawing (and I also wish I had been more careful in the initial composing), so the process here would be complete, but no matter. Materials used were pencil, watercolor, charcoal pencil, acrylic, and pastel.  It is both fun and frustrating working with acrylics, and I hadn't really used them for several years, and now I remember why. Even though they can be extended with mediums, they still dry out too fast and they tend to dull as they dry on the painting. I don't want to think about how much I wasted that is left behind on my disposable wax-paper sheet of a pallet. However, they do let you work insanely fast and there is a nice sculptural feel when you build up the layers, while at the same time you can use them for washes. And, of course, they clean up with water and no priming of the paper is needed. I think I'll keep working with them, as I get the time to, and see if I can't make better use of them in the future. I'm not about to waste that chunk of change I spent on them at any rate. I'm surprised I didn't use any ink in this painting, like I've become acustomed to. That'll be another experiment. The following images show 3 major stages, pencil and watercolor washes, charcoal linework, and acrylic with pastel accents. I guess this counts as being mulitmedia. :)
I hadn't worked with this much red in a long time, and I like it!

No comments: