Monday, February 21, 2011

A Serendipitous Second Chance

Last week I helped packed up a beautiful china set with a blue on white pattern, that reminded me very much of a friend's artistic style. The stamp on the bottom said "Made in Czechoslovakia." This had to be pretty old then, but besides that, it was lovely and whimsical and I wished I had taken a picture of it to show my friend who happens to hail from that side of our fair planet. I regretted it, but moved on.

Today, I had another chance!

The rest of the china set appeared, and this time, I took out my camera and snapped some pics. A friendly regular also saw the china and exclaimed, "Delft! That's delft china." Which is a Dutch style of china patterning, which is the blue on white. He also noted that part of the the stamp seemed to have been printed backwards and mused that such an anomaly would make it more valuable. I have included below the stamp on the bottom of an egg cup, which is one of the few ones that was not blurred in glazing. Many of the pieces had blurred lines, so the haziness in the photos is reality, not a mistake in the photography.

So, enjoy!! <3



Spices!



I was looking at the bottoms of the salt and pepper shakers here, and dumped their contents on the table. Oops!

That tiny bit enclosed in the middle: what do you think? Is it backwards? Seeing it up close, I think it says: JOME. Not backwards then? Hmmm....

No comments: